Global Navigation

Page Navigation

Graduate Admissions FAQ

Application Information:

What is the Department's code to have official GRE scores sent?

To ensure that your official GRE scores are forwarded to the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science you must give ETS either the Chemical Engineering department code (1001) or the Materials Science department code (1403) when requesting official score reports to be sent to UC Davis (institution code - 4834).

Back to top

Does the Department require a GRE subject test or the Writing Assessment test?

Only the general GRE consisting of the verbal, quantitative, analytical writing sections is required.

Back to top

Will the Department accept computer-based GRE scores?

We accept any scores reported to us from ETS so long as they are no more than five (5) years old.

Back to top

Does the Department require applicants to contact faculty before submitting an application?


Back to top

Does the Department require applicants to list faculty in the department whose research is of interest to them?

Yes. And in your online application you will also be asked to indicate your top 4 research areas of interest or desired areas of specialization in order of your preference.

Back to top

Where do I send transcripts?

Official transcripts are the only materials that should be sent to us by mail. Send it to Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Graduate Student Affairs Officer, 3001B Ghausi Hall, UC Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616.

Back to top

Where do I send the application fee?

The Application fee should be paid by credit card or e-check at the time you submit your online application.

Back to top

What happens if you receive my transcripts before my application arrives?

We will hold your transcript and match it up when your online application is received.

Back to top

Who needs to submit TOEFL scores?

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all international applicants who received their undergraduate degree at a university or college in a country where English is not the official language.

TOEFL or IELTS exams will not be waived by completing a Master’s degree in the United States.

The UC Davis Institution Code is 4834. The TOEFL Chemical Engineering Code is 64, the TOEFL Materials Science and Engineering Code is 73.

Back to top

Can I include papers I have written or a resume with my application?

Our program does not allow applicants to upload curriculum vitae, resume, and/or writing samples via the online application web site. We will not accept any of these to form part of the application. This helps to maintain equity in evaluating applications.

Back to top

When will I be notified whether I have been admitted?

You will be notified by email by the Dean of Graduate Studies that a decision has been made on your application. You can access that decision by going online to your application where you will find an "electronic letter". You can also check the current status of your application online. Most decisions are made by April.

Back to top